Friday 4 September 2020

Digital Fluency Intensive # 7

Looking back on the week that has been:

This week we had a class discussion around our class learning site. what the students like, dislike, find helpful and not helpful.  It was interesting getting their perspective. I anticipated that they would say that the instructions were too wordy however most learners siad they appreciated the detail as if the were away or forgot they could easily go back later and still know what to do. A couple of learners said that audio instructions would be helpful so this is something for me to explore. They said it was easy to find the learning tasks for the week however they also said they would like on the weekly timetable there to be a list of the weeks tasks across the curriculum to refer back to, like I had during lockdown.  This is something I will reimplement. My next step is to create a google form and get some feedback from my learners and their whanau about the functionality of our class site and their engagement with it.  I will do this survey next term to inform my 2021 site planning. I have also browsed a variety of sites in regards to how they put their rewindable learning on their sites so students can easily access it again as an ongoing goal for me is to add rewindable learning and helpful hints on the maths section of my site.

Devices: Week 7

Connecting with Manaiakalani Pedagogy and Kaupapa: Fiona Grant

Fiona Grant spoke this morning about the importance of the cybersmart programme. Cybersmart is being smart and secure digital citizens.  Presentation link here.  The important points were:

  • There are 10 categories to focus on.  
  • Things to consider - whole school focus, planned and deliberate teaching.  
  • Core componenets of the cybersmart programme are smart learners, smart footprint and smart relationships. 
  • The learning intentions are relevant across all age groups.  The difference is the way you present the information to the learners that changes.

How cybersmart ties into the Manaaikalani pedagogy

  1. Empowering -  Our students are empowered through cybersmart to be connected citizens - Smart learners following the kawa of care. Students need to learn that every time  they connect, collaborate and share online it combines to create their digital footprint.
  2. Ubiquitous - is about learning being accessible and students using technology in smart and clever ways.  This relates to smart relationships cybersmart learning.
  3. Connected - The key message here is teaching our students about how to engage in behaviours in the online context that "elevate positive action"
  4. Visible - Everything we do in the digtial world is visible.  THis is about teaching students to be confident decision makers when sharing and interacting online.

My next step is to: Explore the smart parents resources and think about how to incorporate sharing this with my class whanau.  One idea is to  incorportate one tip each week into my weekly parent email.  I could have a tip for parents or perhaps a family challengeto encourage whanau to engage with their students online learning.

Deep Dive: Hapara Teacher Dashboard Presentation

We looked again in detail at Hapara Teacher Dashboard. My next step is to explore the use of smart share for some activities. Smart share could be a good way to share the class site initially so they can bookmark it at the start of the year.

Devices:  For the next couple of sessions we explored the two main devices used in 1:1 schools which are the ipad and the chromebook.

When using the ipad we particularly looked at the Explain everything app.  This was an interesting session and it seems like a valuable tool for learners to use as it can be used in a variety of ways.  My class are 1:1 on chromebooks so although I enjoyed this session I have no takeaways to implement.

Chromebooks: In our chromebook session today we did the digital dig which I have done many times with my learners. It is a greaat way to revisit the capabilities of the device our learners use daily.  Fortunately staff at my school each have a chromebook as well as a laptop.  I use my chromebook everyday for my planning and teaching so am now quite proficient with this tool. Screencastify


What next?

After reflecting on today's session I have come up with some things I would like to focus on:

1. Look at incorporating some of the smart parents cybersmart ideas into my weekly emails.

2. Experiment with using smart share to share tasks and resources with my learners.


1 comment:

  1. I like your areas of focus for the week. I feel it is very important, and relevant, where you said about incorporating Smart Parents Cybersmart in to your class weekly emails. It is a great idea to be spreading this learning to the families and not just the students.

    ReplyDelete